Dragon Age Volume 3: Until We Sleep (Dragon Age - Chad Hardin, Alexander Freed, David Gaider, Dave Marshall In the final series of the trilogy, Dragon Age's King Alistair continues the search for his father Maric, accompanied by the pirate queen Isabela and the storytelling dwarf merchant, Varric. They are aided by the Tevinter mage, Maevaris, as they track down the evil Titus who has captured Maric for the dragon's blood that runs within the Theirin veins.

I love this story. I hate this story.

There are so many secrets revealed, ideas introduced and of course the presence of some of my beloved characters from Dragon Age:Origins and Dragon Age II. But even with the combined twelve issues, including [b:Dragon Age: The Silent Grove|13633057|Dragon Age The Silent Grove|David Gaider|http://d202m5krfqbpi5.cloudfront.net/books/1336087073s/13633057.jpg|19242602] and [b:Dragon Age Volume 2: Those Who Speak|15954713|Dragon Age Volume 2 Those Who Speak|David Gaider|http://d202m5krfqbpi5.cloudfront.net/books/1353265751s/15954713.jpg|21706250], there was simply not enough room to fit everything in. In other words, despite the excellent artwork, I really wish this had been written as a novel instead.

Gaider does such a fabulous job with character development in hisn ovels but, while the characters here had some powerful moments, I felt that the limitations of the comic book format didn't allow the writing to go far enough with them. Moreover, the time that was spent with them seemed to cut into the plotting, causing the adventure to skim along like point form notes. I was disappointed with how abruptly certain elements, such as Yavana, the witch of the wilds, and the Qunari, were handled.

I am reasonably content with what I learned from the series and appreciate that the conclusion brought closure to the mystery of Maric's disappearance and his promise to Flemeth. It also gave some interesting insight into Isabela, the character some would write off as merely a sex-crazed thief, and answered a question about Varric and his beloved Bianca thanks to a trip into the glorious Fade.

And even though I'm claiming disappointment with the format, there was still enough here for my imagination to set to work on my headcanon. And damn Gaider and his bittersweet endings. I'll just be quietly sobbing in the corner while I wait for Dragon Age: Inquisition.